11 October 2006

Is it dark out, or is it me...

Life has an uncanny way of reminding you of your own humanity and humility.  On numerous occasions my own excessive pride and ego (which may actually be represented as an unbounded differential equation - after all I am a geek) sidles up to cut my legs out from underneath me.  This present period is no exception.  Despite the fact that the Citizen Deux Improvement Project (thanks to Lauren Muney - see the fitness link on the right) is progressing well - down 12 pounds in three months, there is much to do.
 
Rest assured, that I am cautiously optimistic - I am an optimist at heart - that I can reconcile these challenges and return to my buoyant, Pollyannaish self (yuck!).  I have learned a LOT in the past few months since my return from Chile - if travel is broadening, may I be afflicted with agoraphobia!  A couple of simple thoughts and previews;
 
* Don't Ask Don't Tell - In summary, the overwhelming response from military members was "Don't care".  The biggest complaint was from senior enlisted and officers who have found themselves in the unpleasant position of managing a DADT case.  These typically were very difficult personal cases involving a lot of emotion and requiring a lot of time.  None of these seemed to resolve well.  Most of the junior enlisted who responded indicated that the policy seemed to be unevenly applied, understandable from their perspective.  I even had one member who indicated that their colleagues actually banded together to provide a shield against a DADT inquiry.  Good comrades will do that, but it only takes one vengeful jerk to ruin it.
 
*North Korea - They are trying to stay out of China's clutches and hope by "acting out" they can keep the US and the South engaged.  It seems to be working.
 
*Elections - Who knows.  I'll tell you my predictions the day after.  Actually, I am still standing by the "status quo" position.  I will even predict a Liebermann victory in Connecticut.
 
*Life in General - I'll let the rest of you know when I figure this one out...

1 comment:

LTC John said...

You get that last one figured out - pray, provide us all with the answer!