10 February 2008

The Few, The Proud, The Marines...



The Mayor of Toledo banned a USMC unit from conducting training in the city. There is quite a bit of stir on the web about this, but little news in the mainstream press. This is understandable. The Marines are not in the habit of crying to the press when something doesn't go their way, as the Major from the unit stated;

"We're Marines, we adapt and overcome."

What is disappointing is the poor reasoning given by the mayor in what appears to be an obvious political statement. Live training is critical to building a unit's response skills and understanding problems with equipment, training, tactics and procedures (TTP). In Atlanta, during a mock terrorist attack, local emergency services discovered a horribole flaw with their radio system - it didn't work at all in MARTA stations.

There is a strong push to hold the Toldeo mayor accountable both for his suspect actions and the wasted taxpayer money lost in preparing for this exercise. Given the size of Toledo, it is hard for me to believe that the mayor did not know about this event in the city.

5 comments:

sonicfrog said...

DUDES (and DUDE-ETS!!!). I GOT INSTA-LINKED!!!

Does this mean I am now, officially legit?

Citizen Deux said...

You've always been legit...

ep417 said...

Damn! How do I get instalinked?
Ah, Toledo. Where, during World War II, my grandmother would stand at the door of the Second Baptist Church, greeting the forces from the ordinance depot with the phrase "Hello, how are you? Would You Like To Come To Supper? I Have three daughters...." and thus came about my parents marriage, and my mother traveling by troop train from Toledo to the West Coast to be married in the Biltmore Hotel in LA...and, of course, several years after that, I came along. I owe my life to Toledo. Sad, but true. At least they have a nice glass museum, and a fun zoo....

sonicfrog said...

Hey Cap, didn't you already make an appearance on Sully's blog?

Ver Word: diplag

ep417 said...

whahuh??????have not been to sully in forever, as I get to read him in the Times every sunday! Link?